Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Satellite TV

I used to record heaps of stuff, but I never watched it.

The Powertechs are pretty reliable Colleen, Jaycar have been selling them for years. That model is modified sine wave not pure so just be careful as your laptop may not like it.
    They're 90% efficient, especially at the low power draw of the decoder, so it won't draw much more than it would off 12 volt.

John

Thanks for that information John. All our travels so far the computer only comes out when we are on 240v power and I don't think that practice will change. I can live for a week or longer without the computer. We come into a caravan park once a week at least to do the washing so that is our computer use day. Up in the top of Australia we may be able to wash out on the road as the chances of nice clean water is greater. We have a pump and hose we can just put the hose and strainer into the stream, hit up the generator and the washing will be done. This saves using up your water in your tanks doing the washing.
    Colleen.

Default 240v decoder

Just reading the thread again about when we bought the 240v decoder. Just thought I would update you on its preformance. All I can say is that I won't be changing to 12v if one ever comes on to the market. This one has always worked as soon as you turn it on after not having used it for awhile. The other thing you would have to wait for hours before it would connect up again. Power wise we have never had an issue with it using to much of our battery power, so it is here to stay.

Colleen.

Default 12 Volt Sat Decoder Conversion

It seems a while since anyone mentioned this subject , but I have just purchased a Vast system from Satplus at Caboolture including the conversion for the Altech DSD4121 decoder to run it on 12 volt ,hich means you don't need an inverter .
    Satplus have had a replacement power board produced for the decoder which is easy to install . It sells for around $100 including both a 12 volt power cord and a 240 volt / 12 volt transformer if you want to run it off the mains power when you have it .
    John is the main contact at Satplus and their phone number is 07 5495 7674 . They are located at 11/39 Cessna Drive , Caboolture .

The old sat TV system ( Optus Aurora ) will be turned off 31 Dec this year. So you've still got 12mths before you need to upgrade to VAST if you haven't already.

For anyone looking for a VAST sat finder these tuners from China are the exact same unit sold here for $139.

$48 delivered or $42 each if you order two.

John

If you have a VAST sat finder you need to change the 'Down Freq' to 12567.

The frequency needs adjusting due to recent channel programming changes with VAST.

http://www.satgear.com.au/catalog/in...page=page&id=9

If the new frequency doesnít show up, enter it manually.

Down Freq 12567
    Symbol Rate 30000
    Polarity V

John

P.S. If you buy the Chinese sat finder in the previous post you will find the manual's in Russian, of course. Here's the English manual.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Competition for the UEC monopoly is about to arrive at last.

Humax is expected to launch a twin PVR VAST unit and a 12 volt version of the basic box in April.

Michael

Default 12v computer chargers

There is no need to charge any brand of computer through your inverter anymore.
    Just google your computer model and 12v car charger and charge your computer while you drive, or in the van. We don't give it a thought now that we have a macbook charger. Also iPads and phones just plug into those usb lighter plugs, so again, too easy. Apart from the satellite, we hardly need the inverter anymore, and even that is soon to change.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Competition for the UEC monopoly is about to arrive at last.

Humax is expected to launch a twin PVR VAST unit and a 12 volt version of the basic box in April.

Michael
    Thatís good news.
    Internet speculation about the cost of the new unit is a bit scary.

Mark